5/9/10

The Lesser Sex

Note to self: never google "the lesser sex". yikes.

It's hard being a woman at times. For example...Home Depot. Seriously, I have had so many bad experiences there as a woman that I've sworn off returning so many times.

But I found myself there again today. I needed 2x4's. Quite a lot of 2x4's. Among other things, but the wood was the only item that I needed help with. So I perused the lumber area. Searching for that orange vested person to help me out, feeling ignored and intimidated. Finally I found a young man to assist me. He seemed annoyed. He seemed like the type of person who was generally annoyed most of the time. Even with the attitude he was actually very helpful. He got my 2x4's, 4x4's and even took the time to cut seven of the 12 footers to help me out. So nice. So he annoyingly dragged my stuff to the counter and said "well, there you go". I think that was the first thing he said to me for the whole 30 minutes he had just spent with me.

I paid for my wood and then considered how difficult it was going to be for me to get that to my van. hmmm. So the annoyed-looking cashier, seeing the expression on my face, said she would call for someone to assist me. During my one hour (or longer) stay at home depot I heard over the speaker several times about what carts to use with what you are purchasing and then asking for assistance with getting heavy items to your car. Sounded nice. So I waited for my assistance. For another 30 minutes. Ms. Cashier Lady seemed to have forgotten that I was in need of assistance (even though I was blocking her checkout line and the exit door with my large amount of 2x4's). So I decided that I could do it myself. I'm a strong woman. I don't need any help from any man. ROAR.

I left my cart of wood and got pulled my van around to the contractor pickup. As soon as I started wheeling that heavy cart out the door I knew I was a bit over my head. I'm no weakling but, seriously, the cart was awkward and weighed like 500 pounds. But I was determined now. So I pushed on smashing into a few things as I went and pinning myself between the cart and the door on the way out. But I, of course, pretended that I knew exactly what I was doing. I got the cart to the van and started loading up the wood. I was about 2 boards in when I noticed someone watching me. Awkward. It was a man who had just finished loading up his giant truck with stuff. He walked over, didn't say a word and started putting the 2x4's in my van. I thanked him (really, SO nice). Then he said "where's your husband" in a way that made me feel like he though my husband was a total deadbeat, sitting at home on the couch, sending his wife out to pick up 500 lbs. of 2x4's all by her self. And on mother's day (**gasp**).! He said "It's Mother's Day, You should be at home relaxing or at the spa." hmmm. So I explained that my husband was at home working on a project that was totally my idea (painting our bedroom) while I went out to pick up wood for another project that was also all my idea (new chicken run).

This mother's day really was the best. I got to spend a lot of time with my little girl and my husband. I got to paint my bedroom (getting stuff done in the house ALWAYS makes me happy). I could have done without that trip to Home Depot BUT I have all the stuff I need to get my chicken run finished this week. Ah, the things that make me happy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment